I started collecting credit card points in 2012 when I first found out that the American Express Gold Rewards card was offering 25,000 bonus points with no annual fee. I didn’t think much of these points except that the points can be used to redeem stuff such as blenders and toasters or gift cards to Home Depot.
As I continued to learn more about points redemption, I quickly discovered that these American Express points were transferable to frequent flyer programs such as Air Canada’s Aeroplan, British Airways’ Avios and Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles. I also learned that the points redeemed with these frequent flyer programs can be used on many of their partner carriers such as Air Canada and Star Alliance which include Singapore Airlines, ANA, United Airlines and Lufthansa or British Airways and Oneworld partners which include Japan Airlines, American Airlines, Quantas and Cathay Pacific and more. Aeroplan redemption also allowed free stopovers. This means you can visit additional cities on one ticket.
By the time I learned how much these points were worth, I was on the lookout for more bonus points offers with waived annual fees. As time went on, although offers may be different now, I found the American Express AeroplanPlus Gold card which offered 26,000 to 30,000 Aeroplan Miles, the American Express Gold Business Rewards card offering 25,000 to 40,000 bonus points, the American Express Platinum card offering 75,000 bonus points and $200 travel credit every year, the American Express AeroplanPlus card offering 5,000 Aeroplan Miles, the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite offering 15,000 to 50,000 Avios points and the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite offering 25,000 Aeroplan Miles. When you don’t see a bonus offer attractive enough for you to sign up, just wait for their promotional periods which may occur at any time. There were also transfer bonuses of up to 50% when you transfer American Express points to British Airways Avios. I took advantage of all offers including a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express for some free hotel nights.
With all the bonus points accumulated and the points awarded for everyday spending, I had enough points to redeem for flights in both economy class and business class. Unless full fare prices were really cheap, I would always use my points to fly. You can check how many points are needed to places you want to go to. Don’t pay full price for your flights when there are so many offers out there for you. Always be on the lookout for bonus offers which you can use towards your flights. Over the last couple years, I was able to accumulate enough points for the following reward flights and you can do the same.
– Vancouver to Tokyo to Vancouver on Japan Airlines for 45,000 Asia Miles
– Tokyo to Hong Kong to Tokyo on Cathay Pacific for 20,000 Avios points
– Vancouver to New York to Vancouver on Cathay Pacific for 25,000 Avios points
– Vancouver to Montreal to Ottawa to Vancouver on Air Canada for 25,000 Aeroplan Miles
– Vancouver to Calgary to London (UK) to Singapore to Hong Kong to Vancouver on Air Canada and Singapore Airlines for 75,000 Aeroplan Miles
– London (UK) to Amsterdam to London (UK) on British Airways for 9,000 Avios points
– Singapore to Osaka to Dalian to Hong Kong on Singapore Airlines, ANA and Air China for 20,000 Aeroplan Miles x2
– Hong Kong to Bangkok to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific for 15,000 Avios points
– Vancouver to Tokyo on Japan Airlines in business class for 50,000 Avios points
– Tokyo to Seoul to Bangkok to Hong Kong on Asiana Airlines in business class for 30,000 Aeroplan Miles
– Hong Kong to Tokyo on Cathay Pacific in business class for 20,000 Avios points
– Tokyo to Vancouver on Japan Airlines in business class for 50,000 Avios points
– Vancouver to Tokyo on Japan Airlines round trip in business class for 80,000 Asia Miles
– Tokyo to Singapore to Hong Kong on Singapore Airlines in business class for 30,000 Aeroplan Miles
– Hong Kong to Bangkok on Cathay Pacific in business class for 15,000 Avios points
– Bangkok to Toyko on Japan Airlines in business class for 40,000 Avios points
– Vancouver to Las Vegas to Montreal to Vancouver on Air Canada in business class for 50,000 Aeroplan Miles
– Vancouver to Seattle to San Francisco to Icheon to Hong Kong to Singapore to Jakarta to Bangkok to Beijing to Vancouver on Star Alliance partner airlines in business class for 155,000 Aeroplan Miles